Friday, May 07, 2010

New Harmony...




This week I had the honor of photographing some of my best friends and one of my favorite gospel groups of all time – New Harmony, out of Huntsville, Alabama. I’ve known most of these guys for my entire life and have had the fortune of calling them close friends during that time. The four “core” (original) members of the group have been singing together since they were probably like five years old. Most anybody who reads my blog probably knows them; but just in case you don’t, let me introduce you to the group. Standing at camera left is the group’s pianist, Chad Cantrell. Ain’t he pretty? :) Not only is Chad one of the absolute best pianist I’ve ever seen sit at a keyboard, he also genuinely one of the most naturally nice people I have ever known. He’s always been the same – just a great, great guy. Next to him is my brother-in-law and favorite bass guitarist, Dustin McKenzie. The dude is smooth on them strings; and don’t tell him I said this (since he’s my brother-in-law and all), but I think he’s a pretty cool dude overall. And then standing next to him is one my best friends and business partner (he put the Brant in BrantDale Music Publishing Company), Dustin Kelly. Dustin played the piano on our Not Another Tear project and is one of the most talented people I know. And besides that, he’s one of the most giving, considerate, and caring people I know. If you have a friend in Dustin Kelly, then you’ve got a FRIEND. Kneeling at camera left is Dustin’s twin brother, Justin Kelly. Justin stood in my wedding and used to hang out at my house a lot when we were young and single. He’s hilarious! If he can’t make you laugh, then you better check your pulse because chances are, you’re dead. I love him – another great, great friend! Seated just above Justin is Erica Davis. She’s a cool chick who puts her heart into her great singing. She sings the high part with the group, and the girl can rocket. But my favorite feature of hers would have to be her husband, Todd! :) Another one of my best friends! He’s not in the group; but I would be remiss in not mentioning his name at least once in this post! :) Seated next to Erica is Cassie McKenzie. Cassie is married to Kellie and Dustin’s first cousin, Clint; and she recently recorded with us on our project. I pick on her a lot; but the girls’ got a voice with a heart to match it – big! We love Cassie and were so glad she helped us with our tribute to Alvie! And then last, but certainly not least… ladies and gentlemen… make welcome THE Joe David Cantrell! One of my favorite singers, one of my favorite people – Joe David and I have been together though a lot of blessings and a lot of trials. He sang at my wedding, and if I die before him, he’ll probably sing at my funeral. He has such a gift – I’m not even sure he realizes the full potential in it himself… in fact, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t. He’s helped me out so many times when I’ve had a bad day or just needed some encouragement. He just one of those people who can make you smile when you don’t feel like smiling. So anyhow, that’s New Harmony. If you’ve never heard them – find a singing they’re going be doing, and go. You will NOT be disappointed! And BE SURE to get one of their new CD’s!!! It’s going to be awesome (just like their past two have been); and besides sounding AWESOME, it’s going to LOOK great too! :) Seriously, I could go on and on and wouldn't be able to say enough good about them - I love them all very, very much!

4 comments:

Marty said...

Enough already! I think you've brown nosed enough to get the free CD! lol

Shannon Byrd said...

I'm shootin' for two!

Stephanie T said...

I think you got them!!! Seriously - great picture!!!

Unknown said...

I would love to find out how to contact them for a church singing. Since you have relatives in this group, can you give a contact number? BTW, I like your last name. It used to be mine until 1998 when I married. LOL