Thursday, March 25, 2010

This Day in History...

On March 25, 1977, Ronald Dale Byrd and Pamela Jane Stapler were united in Holy Matrimony at the Big Cove Free Holiness Church in Big Cove, Alabama. Rev. Hoyt Dalton officiated the service, and apparently did a good job as thirty-three years later, they're still married. I have known this couple as Mom and Dad.
I'm so thankful for my parents and everything they have done for me. For my whole life, they've been nothing but givers - both sacrificing unselfishly so that my sister and I could have not only our needs, but also a lot of our wants. Spoiled? No - never spoiled, as they also instilled in us the value of working for what we have and taking care of what we've earned or been given. My dad worked hard the entire time I was growing up - sometimes more than one job, so that my mom could be home with me and Shawna. Mom kept probably two or three church dresses at the most, so that she could buy us nice clothes for school and church. I never knew how much to appreciate these things until now.
They raised us to fear God and to trust in Him. They taught us to respect our elders. They taught us to love one another. They taught us so many things that I will never forget - through the examples in their lives.
Did they ever fuss? Yep - don't you and your spouse? But what I remember more than that, was that my dad kissed my mom every day before he left for work. Of course we thought it was gross at the time; but now, I look back at how special that is. My mom mentioned the other day that Dad STILL kisses her every day before going to work... it just made me feel good. So anyhow, that's just a few random thoughts about my parents on their special day.
Happy Anniversary, Mom & Dad - two of the most successful people I have ever known.
-BYRD

No comments: