Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Kensley

I was sitting here at my desk today and ran across some emails and pictures I had saved from back in October – days after some of my best friends and their children had been involved in a horrifying accident in Florida. Anybody who might be reading this probably knows who I’m talking about and all about it; but just in case someone doesn’t, Dustin, Melissa, Konner, and Kensley Kelly were on their way home from Disney World when they hydroplaned on I-90 near Pensacola, Florida, causing their car to leave the road and flip. Dustin and Melissa were trapped in their vehicle – but Konner and Kensley were ejected from the car. Dustin, Melissa, and Konner were all banged-up pretty bad; but Kensley sustained a very serious, life-threatening head injury and her life hung in the balances for what seemed like an eternity. More about the accident and everything that has occurred since, can be read at www.prayingforkensley.blogspot.com.

Today, when I found the pictures and thought back to what kind of condition she laid in for SO many days, I just kind of got overwhelmed for a few minutes. The outcome could have been SO, SO, SO very different. You don’t like to think about that; but to be truly thankful for the way things ARE, you MUST consider how things could have been.

If you don’t know this kid, you’re missing out! She is a mess and little more on top of that! Whenever I’m around her (and from what I’m here, whenever I’m NOT around her too), she never stop talking! Praise the Lord! We didn’t know if she’d be ABLE to talk – I think the only thing about that’s she’s not able to do is STOP talking! She fell this week and broke her wrist. Praise the Lord! The doctors weren’t sure that she’d ever walk again; but she IS – and that’s how she fell and broke her wrist! She’s still a little under 100%; but we all believe that with more time and prayer, she’ll get there! She’s just a miracle as she is.

I’m just sitting here today with a thankful heart and teary-eyes.

-BYRD

2 comments:

Drea said...

I am with you Byrd- everytime I run across those pictures I get even more thankful of how the Lord has helped her. Every month on the 7th I think "it has been (however many months) and look how she is doing... it is amazing!" Back in school and walking on her own and it has been 5 1/2 months- talk about a testimony!!!

Sherrill said...

Between Kensley, the McKenzie CD, and Resiana (Slick and Crystal's addition), I need a BIG box of Kleenex right here by the computer! I cry tears of joy almost everytime I click! I was concerned about Kensley being "hurt" (her wrist) - but you so succinctly summed up the incident - PRAISE THE LORD!!! Bless you and your family - tell Kellie I love her and think of her often. :-)