Friday, November 05, 2010

Mackenzie...




Eight years ago today – we thought this was it! Kellie’s doctor recommended that we go ahead and be admitted to the hospital so that our little Mackenzie could make her way into the world. And what a perfect day! It was my late grandmother’s birthday; and being the sentimentalist that I am, I couldn’t have planned it any better! Mackenzie was due on Halloween, so we had already waiting longer than we expected and then here we were – about to become parents for the first time. Only problem… there was no room in the inn! Erlanger hospital was jam packed, so they sent us home to wait. Then we got the call that they were going to admit us to East Ridge Hospital at midnight! So we got everything ready, and Vicky, Kellie, and I took off to East Ridge, and settled in thinking we’d have a baby sometime early the next day. Wrong again! After thirty hours of relentless labor, Kellie was finally wheeled into the O.R. for a C-section; and moments later, the most beautiful child I had ever seen was wrapped in a blanket and laying in my arms! And she was HUGE – she was nearly 9 pounds (I don’t remember all of the details – that’s what momma’s are for)!
You want to talk about love at first sight?! Kellie had been able to bond with the baby for the past several months; but a brand new spot in my heart that I never knew existed had been awakened – the spot that’s reserved for the love of a father! I was a daddy! I was crying and just overly emotional (typical for me – I squalled watching the Walton’s last night); and I took her over to the head of the bead and bent down and showed her to Kellie. I said, “Look at her she’s beautiful!” Well, Kellie, who was exhausted and heavily sedated just glanced over at her and was like, “yeah”. But I was in love – and have been ever since!
It’s hard to believe that she’ll be EIGHT years old on Sunday. She's growing up so fast. She wanted to go to the Top of the River (a restaurant in Guntersville), to celebrate - so that's what we're doing tonight. Time flies. I already have regrets; and I know I’ll have many, many more before it’s over. But I’ve tried my best to be a good dad, though at times I know I’ve failed miserably! I really meant to be a whole lot better than I have been; but like Uncle Roy Guffey was quoted as saying, “It’s easy to TALK a good life!”
Overall, I thank God for Mackenzie Leigh Anne Byrd. She is beautiful, smart, healthy, and one of the most morally conscious children who has probably ever graced God’s green Earth. She’s just a good, good child; and I couldn’t ask for anything more.
Okay, you’re probably wondering about the name. #1 – I said that each of my children were to have four names, so that when they grew up and people asked them why they had four names, their answer could be, “Because my daddy loved me so much and thought I was such a special child, I needed a special name!” Makayla’s full name is Makayla Kellie Lorene Byrd – yeah, that’s a mouthful. Mackenzie’s first name is obviously for Kellie’s maiden name, McKenzie. Leigh is for Granddaddy Bird (Walter Lee). Anne is because it’s a third name that goes well with Leigh and my Great-grandmother Bird’s name was Willie Anne Josephine Hunter Bird – and besides all that, my sister’s name is Shawna LeAnn.
And, as mentioned earlier in the post, this day in history was also the birth of my paternal grandmother, Bertie Lorene Adams Bird, who was born on November 5, 1914. This picture is of Grandmother holding my dad, probably around this time of year in 1954. Ironically, it was taken on Sand Mountain, near where I live today, at the home of Monroe and Olgia Knight, my dad's sister, Peggy's, parents-in-law.

1 comment:

Shelby Baker said...

That was probably the sweetest post I've ever read.. :) Happy early Birthday, Mackenzie!