Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Eyes, Smiles, & Boogers




Each photographer has their own style. Something that makes them unique. Something that makes them… well, “them”! Really, that is how a consumer should select a photographer – by their style. It isn’t fair for the consumer or the photographer when the consumer expects the photographer to alter their style, yet continue to yield results like what they have become accustomed to, while all the while trying to mimic the work of another photographer. But this happens to all of us from time to time.
For me – it’s the eyes verses smiles thing. My “style” and my favorite captures in children’s photography are those in which the child’s eyes are the stars of the show. It has been said that the eyes are the windows of the soul; and I couldn’t agree more. And how better to capture those sparkly blues, browns, or greens, than in their most beautiful form – the gaze of wonderment! I love the look of surprise and wonder in a child’s eyes. I love bewilderment in a child’s expression. For me, that’s what makes a children’s portrait great. As an artist, that’s what childhood represents to me – curiosity, wonder, and innocence.
Many moms, on the other hand are interested in one thing and one thing only – smiles. Don’t get me wrong, I love to see a happy, smiley child, and yeah, I’ve got to admit, I do like to capture a few of those during each session; but smiles, in most cases, are the enemy of my own agenda – those beautiful eyes! I’ll trade smiles for eyes any day of the week. Why can’t you have both? Anatomy. Few people (none that I can think of) can have those big ole smiles and big ole eyes at the same time. My kids are like me – when I smile, my eyes disappear altogether!
But for those of you who love smiles, consider this little bit of advice. “Cheese” is a dirty word at my house. Not when talking about sandwich; but when provoking a smile, the worst thing in the world you can do is train your child to say “cheese” when you’re ready to snap a picture. That’s not a smile you’re getting. It’s a stretched out mouth as the child tries to annunciate the word. The best way to get a genuine smile out of a child is to talk about something that THEY think is funny (which may be something that YOU think is gross). One of my favorite methods to employ is to discuss boogers. Ha, ha. Children love to talk about boogers. A lot of times, they’ll laugh when you just say the word! Nothing is going to make a two year old smile any bigger than when you tell them you’re going to come get the boogers out of their nose!
So anyhow, I normally don’t do a whole lot of journalism on my Blog; but I wanted to throw this out here for you to think about. Remember, when you bring little Johnny or Sallie Jo to see me, I’m gonna be focused on them eyes. And if you want to see a smile, remember that “cheese” is a dirty word, and I’m gonna be talking about boogers! Ha, ha – so just be prepared! J

Come see me!
-BYRD

(Pictured here are Mackenzie's disappearing eyes, Makayla's "cheesy" grin, and Alanah's beautiful, sparkly, wide-open, crystal-blue eyes. Click on the pictures to enlarge.)

No comments: